Growing up in the California, I am pretty familiar with the Fall food tradition that is “everything pumpkin”. Once the calendar reaches early October it seems every little cafe and coffee shop offers at least one item that is made of a vegetable that is invisible for any month outside of the Holiday period. That’s right, pumpkin gets all the American glory during the fall and winter months. Once the boots and scarves come out, so do the pumpkins. So, it’s only natural that I continue this tradition in the sweltering heat and humidity that is Hong Kong. No pumpkin Fro Yo, no pumpkin lattes, and no concept of pumpkin pie to be seen here, so I decided to make my very own homemade homage to the pumpkin for a little taste of home (and also because I’m obsessed with baking).
As always, this recipe is as easy as possible to make because, let’s face it I am not a complicated lady and I’m also short on time to myself. The only tools you’ll need for this creation are muffin tins and a blender. Also, all ingredients are Gluten Free and sugar free. I will confess that I was feeling a little naughty and added a few white chocolate chips to top these muffins. They taste amazing but you certainly don’t need to add them.
Servings: 12 muffins
Time to create: 35 min
- 1 cup puréed pumpkin (I used the canned version which I found at Great Food Hall)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tbs honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of ground ginger
- 1.5 cups gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup Quinoa flour
- White chocolate chips or mini marshmallows (optional) for topping
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Lightly grease muffin tin
- Combine all ingredients into the blender. Yep, everything!
- Distribute evenly into 12 muffin tins
- (Optional) top muffins with choc chips
- Place into oven and bake for approx 20 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick into the muffin and it comes out clean
I recommend eating at least one muffin straight out of the oven for optimal Pumpkin tasting experience : )